Fire causes brief
 motel evacuation


An electrical fire caused a brief evacuation of Comfort Inn East on Navarre Avenue in Oregon early Monday, authorities said.

There were no injuries, according to Oregon police and fire authorities.

The fire at 2930 Navarre Ave. occurred about 6:35 a.m., about which time a fire alarm alerted motel employees to a small fire confined to a vent in an unoccupied room, according to Oregon Assistant Fire Chief Paul Mullen.

Staff then evacuated the motel and used fire extinguishers to put out the fire before crews arrived, Chief Mullen said.

The fire was caused by an electrical equipment malfunction, the assistant fire chief said. The damage estimate wasn't available.