Thursday, Jun 30, 2016
One of America's Great Newspapers ~ Toledo, Ohio

Courts

Toledo man pleads no contest to charge stemming from the shooting

A Toledo man pleaded no contest today to a charge stemming from the shooting of a man outside St. Paul’s Community Center earlier this year.

Houston Hart III, 27, of 2338 Rockspring Rd., was then found guilty by Lucas County Common Pleas Judge James Bates of felonious assault with a firearm specification. Hart faces up to eight years in prison for felonious assault and a mandatory three years in prison for the gun specification when he is sentenced Aug. 28.

Mark Herr, an assistant Lucas County prosecutor, told the court Hart was working as the head cook at St. Paul’s when he went outside about 9 a.m. April 25 and got into a heated argument with Louis Barton, 39, who had been inside the center briefly that morning.

Some witnesses told police Barton made threats against Hart, who then went to his car and retrieved a gun from the trunk. He shot Barton three times – in the arm, the side, and the neck, Mr. Herr said.

As part of a plea agreement, a charge of attempted murder is to be dismissed at sentencing.

Click to comment

Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem?

Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet.

Copyright © 2015 Toledo Blade

To Top

Fetching stories…