Indicators of physical abuse:
● Unexplained bruising or repeated injuries.
● Behavioral extremes, including withdrawal, aggression, regression.
● Excessive fear of the parent or caregiver and wariness of physical contact.
Indicators of sexual abuse:
● Promiscuity or seductive behavior.
● Recurrent nightmares, disturbed sleep patterns, or fear of the dark.
● In young children, preoccupation with his/her sexual organs, his/her parents’ or other children’s.
Indicators of emotional abuse:
● A variety of disorders, including eating disorders, stuttering, biting, and head banging .
● Weight or height significantly below the norm.
● Self-isolation and cruel behavior to other children or animals.
Where to go for help
● If you are being abused or suspect child abuse, call the Child Protective Services agency at 419-213-CARE (2273). Calls are taken 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.