Indicators of physical abuse:
● Unexplained bruising or repeated injuries.
● Behavioral extremes, including withdrawal, aggression, regression.
● Excessive fear of the parent or caregiver and wariness of physical contact.
Indicators of sexual abuse:
● Promiscuity or seductive behavior.
● Recurrent nightmares, disturbed sleep patterns, or fear of the dark.
● In young children, preoccupation with his/her sexual organs, his/her parents’ or other children’s.
Indicators of emotional abuse:
● A variety of disorders, including eating disorders, stuttering, biting, and head banging .
● Weight or height significantly below the norm.
● Self-isolation and cruel behavior to other children or animals.
Where to go for help
● If you are being abused or suspect child abuse, call the Child Protective Services agency at 419-213-CARE (2273). Calls are taken 24 hours a day, seven days a week.