"This salad is a godsend in winter and early spring, when even the iceberg lettuce looks a little worse for wear in the produce aisle," notes the introduction to the recipe.
Radicchio, Radish, and Fennel Salad
From Vegetarian Times Everything Vegan: 250+ Easy, Healthy Recipes for Food Lovers and Compassionate Cooks, edited by Mary Margaret Chappell and published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 large head radicchio, quartered and thinly shredded
- 6 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, halved, and thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber, sliced into 1/4" matchsticks
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
To make salad: Toast pine nuts in skillet over medium heat 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to plate to cool. Combine radicchio, radishes, fennel, and cucumber in large bowl.
To make dressing: Puree mint, lemon juice, oil, maple syrup, and mustard in blender until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing to salad; toss to coat, and garnish with toasted pine nuts.Serves 8.
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to food@theblade or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.