This recipe comes from Judy Bashforth and she says it is a healthy way to serve chicken. It contains lots of fiber too. Serve over brown rice for added health benefits. Just combine the ingredients and bake.
Southwest Chicken with Rice
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup salsa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 2” pieces
- Tablespoon of lime juice
- Tablespoon of dried cilantro or fresh if you have it
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a 13 x 9” baking pan or casserole dish, combine the broth, the beans, salsa, garlic, lime juice, and cilantro. Add the chicken andbaste with some of the liquid.
Bake, stirring once or twice, until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid has reduced somewhat – about 45 minutes.
Serve with brown rice.
Yield: 4 servings (or 2 people and have leftovers!)
— Judy Bashforth
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to food@theblade or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.