Julia Mirabella writes, in Mason Jar Salads and More: “Colorful with lots of protein and antioxidants, this hearty salad will keep you satisfied ....”
Slightly adapted from Julia Mirabella‘s Mason Jar Salads and More, published by Ulysses Press.
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 2 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- Lime Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- dash of hot sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Layer two dinner plates with the salad ingredients, in order listed. Whisk together the lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, and hot sauce (if using); slowly add the olive oil, whisking, until the dressing thickens. Drizzle the dressing over the salads.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.