The great advantage of this recipe submitted by Sherry Wesolowski of Maumee, is its versatility. It begins with a few set ingredients, and then it provides numerous suggestions of other ingredients to change and personalize it — complete with the cooking times of each. By mixing and matching, you can make dozens of different variations on this one soup.
Cream of Vegetable Soup
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Optional ingredients:
- 2 cups cauliflower florettes (10 minutes)
- 2 cups broccoli florettes (10 minutes; cook with thyme, garlic, and bay leaf, removing the bay leaf after simmering)
- 1½ cup shelled peas (8 minutes; cook with minced ham and sage)
- 1 cup bite-sized potato pieces (10 minutes, cook with dill)
- 1 cup bite-sized carrot pieces (12 minutes, cook with parsley and basil)
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring broth to a simmer. Add onion and one or more — or all —of the optional vegetables, and simmer for the allotted time. Remove broth mixture from pan.
Melt butter in same pan. In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and milk. Slowly add to melted butter, stirring until thick.
Stir in cooked vegetables and broth. Can double or triple recipe.
— Sherry Wesolowski
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to email@example.com or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.