This easy, nutritious soup is perfect for the last cold days of winter. Kathy Queen says she halves the recipe when serving just two people; the full amount would be great for a hearty family meal.
White Bean and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine or dry sherry
- 4 cups raw kale, chopped
- 4 cups low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans white beans (such as cannellini), drained and rinsed
- Parmesan cheese
In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion, saute until soft. Then add carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Add wine and saute for at least 1-2 minutes. Then add kale and saute until wilted. Add broth, tomatoes, and seasonings. In a blender or food processor, mix about 1 cup of the beans and 1/2 cup soup liquid; add to soup. Add rest of beans. Simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Yield: 4 servings
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to food@theblade or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.