This dish is “quick and light,” says Cynthia Poe. It can be served as a vegetarian entree or as a side dish.
Sabanach (Arab Spinach Salad)
- 4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds fresh baby spinach, chopped into small strips
- 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Flour tortillas or pita bread
- Canned cannellini beans, drained, rinsed, and warmed (optional)
Warm the tortillas or pitas (wrapped in foil) in a 350F oven for 10 minutes.
In large non-stick pan, saute garlic in oil for one minute. Do not brown. Add spinach and continue sauteing over high heat for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Place hot beans (if using) in center of a plate and distribute spinach in a circle around the edge. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve hot, squeezing fresh lemon juice over the top.
— Cynthia Poe
Have a recipe that is fast and healthy? Send it to food@theblade or Dinner Tonight, The Blade, 541 N. Superior St., Toledo, OH 43660.