* Do check gallons per minute ratings on multiple shower fixtures to ensure that the bathroom has sufficient water pressure, the shower valve can handle a multitude of fixtures and shower drains can accommodate large volumes of water. Pressure checks can be performed outside the house and in the bathroom.
* Do spend some time thinking about how the bathroom will be used. A busy dual-career couple with children may be better off selecting a large shower with room for two people who need to be at work at the same time rather than a soaking tub that would be used only occasionally.
* Do consider putting decorative pedestal sinks in powder rooms rather than in a master bath. While they can be attractive, they aren't always large enough to handle day-to-day activities. Also, some of the hand-blown glass and carved stone vessels must be thoroughly dried after every use to prevent water spots.
* Do try out a whirlpool before purchasing and don't automatically select a standard-sized whirlpool tub. Smaller tubs are more comfortable for many people. Some stores will open after hours by appointment so potential buyers can climb in wearing a swim suit and check out the difference between water and air jets.
* Do consider installing a shower system that isn't "standard." They're easy to install at heights that work best for the person using. Every system should include a hand-held shower with a handle located at waist-height in case someone must shower while seated. It can also be used to bathe dogs or clean the shower stall.
* Do install one of the new "on-demand" water heaters that don't run out of hot water, especially if using a large tub or a sophisticated shower system with multiple fixtures.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.