Take a look around your home. See a light fixture that could use an update but not sure what to do with it? While you could go the traditional route and replace it with a more modern fixture from a home improvement or lighting center, you could opt for something completely different and install a bamboo parasol over your existing light.
A bamboo parasol? Yes, that's right. You can take an Asian-style bamboo parasol and transform it into a cover for your light in a few easy steps.
Asian-style bamboo parasols can be made into great light fixtures with just a few supplies. The materials you'll need for this project include:
Hot glue gun
Two 3-inch L-brackets
Once you have collected the supplies, start constructing your parasol light cover by following these steps:
1. Release the tension of the parasol by cutting the center string on the interior. If the parasol is still too difficult to work with, you may need to cut some of the bamboo supports.
2. Remove the handle of the parasol.
3. Take out as many parasol panels as needed to make the frame small enough to fit over the existing light.
4. Reattach the parasol panels together, and any bamboo supports that you may have cut, with a hot glue gun.
5. Construct a frame from scrap wood and screws to hold the parasol in place on the ceiling.
6. Fit the frame inside the parasol and secure it to the parasol with a nail gun or a hot glue gun.
7. Add the L-brackets to the frame and then attach it to the ceiling. Make any further adjustments needed to the parasol and voila-your parasol light fixture is complete.
Imagine it. In just seven simple steps, you can create a light cover that will have everyone saying, "Wow! Where did you get that?" You can then tell them that you created it yourself and amaze them with your handiness.