SACRAMENTO, Calif. — California officials say inmates have ended their nearly two-month hunger strike to protest the prison system’s isolation policies.
Corrections Secretary Jeffrey Beard said in a statement that all inmates began accepting prison-issued meals early today.
Beard says he is pleased the strike ended before any inmate suffered serious injury. A federal judge had given authorities permission to force-feed inmates if necessary to save their lives.
More than 30,000 inmates had been refusing meals when the strike began in early July.
By this week, the number had dwindled to 100 strikers, including 40 who had been on strike continuously since July 8.
The strike ended after two Democratic state legislators promised to hold hearings this fall on inmates’ complaints that gang leaders are often held for decades in isolation units.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.