1. GEORGE STRAIT WINS COUNTRY MUSIC’S HIGHEST HONOR
The singer is named CMA entertainer of the year, while Blake Shelton, Miranda Lambert and Taylor Swift take other top awards.
2. TESTS BACK CLAIM THAT ARAFAT WAS POISONED
Swiss scientists say they’ve found evidence that the Palestinian leader was killed with a radioactive substance.
3. HOW CHILD SEATS FARED IN CRASH TESTS
More than half of boosters that went on sale this year earn a top rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
4. THOUSANDS EVACUATED AHEAD OF TYPHOON
Philippine villagers are forced to leave an area devastated by a recent earthquake as a powerful storm approaches.
5. MUSHARRAF FREED FROM HOUSE ARREST
Prison officials are withdrawn from the former Pakistani president’s home, where he had been held since April.
6. WHY ARIZONA MAN KILLED HIS GRANDMOTHER
Jason Eric Howell told police he was upset with her strict curfew rules and how much she charged him for rent, so he beat her with a shovel and slit her throat.
7. WHERE A NEW DINOSAUR SPECIES WAS FOUND
Paleontologists unveil a new species — the equivalent of T. rex’s great-uncle — discovered four years ago in Utah.
8. NEWSWOMAN SEEKS HELP FOR ALCOHOL DEPENDENCY
ABC says veteran anchor and reporter Elizabeth Vargas is in a treatment facility.
9. BIDEN DIALS THE WRONG NUMBER
The VP picks up the phone to congratulate Boston’s new mayor, but gets a different Marty Walsh.
10. DOLPHINS COACH TAKING HEAT
Hazing allegations raise questions about whether Joe Philbin and his staff were negligent in failing to stop the behavior.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.