COLUMBUS — Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde appears to be in the clear legally.
His status with Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer is another story.
Hyde will not face charges stemming from an alleged assault after the 19-year-old woman involved in the incident told Columbus police she does not wish to pursue the case, Sgt. Rich Weiner said.
But the Buckeyes star rusher will not escape punishment, with Meyer announcing tonight that Hyde will be suspended at least three games for "conduct not representative of this football program or this university."
"He will be required to fulfill additional obligations before he is allowed to play in a game," he said in a statement.
Meyer made the decision after the release of a surveillance video of the incident provided the first shred of clarity to a case that had been fueled by speculation and contradicting reports.
In a five-minute video police released to reporters today, Hyde, who had been suspended indefinitely, is seen in early morning July 20 at Sugar Bar 2 in Columbus.
A friend nods toward a woman dancing on a stage, and Hyde approaches her. After they talk for about 35 seconds, Hyde points at the woman and she swings at him. Hyde appears to attempt to slap the woman with his left hand, then leaves the stage and is soon out of the picture.
It is unclear if either made contact. The black-and-white video is grainy with no sound while strobelights flash through the nightclub.
Hyde ran for 970 yards and 17 TDs as a junior and is expected to be one of the top running backs in the country this season. He will miss the Buckeyes’ first three games against Buffalo, San Diego State, and California, before possibly returning against Sept. 21 against Florida A&M.