Loading…
Saturday, July 26, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Wednesday, 7/31/2013

Ohio State's Hyde suspended for at least 3 games

Buckeye RB will not face charges for July 20 incident

BY DAVID BRIGGS
BLADE SPORTS WRITER

COLUMBUS — Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde appears to be in the clear legally.

His status with Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer is another story.

Hyde will not face charges stemming from an alleged assault after the 19-year-old woman involved in the incident told Columbus police she does not wish to pursue the case, Sgt. Rich Weiner said.

Carlos Hyde Carlos Hyde
Enlarge

But the Buckeyes’ star rusher will not escape punishment, with Meyer announcing late Tuesday night that Hyde will be suspended at least three games for “conduct not representative of this football program or this university.”

“He will be required to fulfill additional obligations before he is allowed to play in a game,” he said in a statement.

Meyer made the decision after the release of a surveillance video of the incident provided the first shred of clarity to a case that had been fueled by speculation and contradicting reports.

In a five-minute video police released to reporters Tuesday, Hyde — who had been suspended indefinitely — is seen during the early morning of July 20 at Sugar Bar 2 in Columbus.

A friend nods toward a woman dancing on a stage, and Hyde approaches her. After they talk for about 35 seconds, Hyde points at the woman and she swings at him. Hyde appears to attempt to slap the woman with his left hand, then leaves the stage and is soon out of the picture.

It is unclear if either made contact. The black-and-white video is grainy with no sound while strobelights flash through the nightclub.

Weiner said the case is closed, though the parties involved have up to two years to pursue charges.

In a statement released to WCMH-TV in Columbus, the 19-year-old complainant called speculation on the case from fans and some media members “overwhelming, frustrating, and disappointing.”

“It is unimaginable to be exposed to these false reports, claims, and rumors,” she said. “I would like to thank the Columbus police department for their patience and professionalism they showed conducting their investigation. They have advised me I have up to two years to consider criminal charges. I believe the video ... will speak for itself when shown in its entirety and not edited or censored.”

Hyde ran for 970 yards and 17 TDs as a junior and is expected to be one of the top running backs in the country this season. He will miss the Buckeyes’ first three games against Buffalo, San Diego State, and California, before possibly returning against Sept. 21 against Florida A&M.

Contact David Briggs at:

dbriggs@theblade.com,

419-724-6084, or on

Twitter @ DBriggsBlade.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories