A floor-buffing machine caught fire yesterday while being charged in the loading dock area of the Kmart store at 1801 West Alexis Rd., causing a brief evacuation of the store, fire authorities said.
One store employee was transported to St. Anne Mercy Hospital with chest pains. Her name and condition were not released.
A store manager had put out the blaze using a fire extinguisher by the time fire crews arrived at 5:25 p.m. The firefighters evacuated the store, Toledo fire acting Lt. Mike Benadum said.
Damage was estimated at $9,000, Lieutenant Benadum said.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.