Loading…
Thursday, September 18, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Friday, 6/24/2011 - Updated: 3 years ago

Dryer is probably cause of house fire that killed man

BLADE STAFF

VAUGHNSVILLE, Ohio  — Authorities believe a laundry dryer is most likely to blame for a Putnam County house fire Thursday night in which an elderly man was killed.

Ohio state fire marshal investigators said two women and a child escaped uninjured, however, Stanley L. Rayman, 80, was unsuccessful, and was pronounced dead at St. Rita’s Medical Center in Lima, Ohio. The survivors’ names were not released.

The sheriff’s office responded to a 10:25 p.m. fire call and discovered a house fully engulfed, deputies said.

State fire marshal investigators said the fire started in or around a dryer. When the residents heard the dryer stop without the usual notification sound, they found the fire and started their escape attempt.

The house, which had working smoke alarms, was a total loss. Investigators on Friday did not have a dollar estimate.

Fire and emergency departments from Kalida, Ottoville, Columbus Grove, Fort Jennings, Pandora, Ottoville, and Cairo, Ohio, assisted at the scene.

Also investigating the fire are the Putnam County sheriff’s office; the Kalida fire department and the Putnam and Allen County coroner’s offices, a state fire marshal’s spokesman said.

Vaughnsville is about 65 miles southwest of Toledo.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.