Furnace malfunction cited in siblings’ deaths


Toledo police said the Ventura Drive home where a man and woman were found dead on Friday afternoon was heated to more than 100 degrees.

Autopsies have been performed on Jeanette Harper, 74, and Sylvester Harper, 60, however, Lucas County Deputy Coroner Diane Scala-Barnett said results are pending a carbon monoxide poisoning test.

Police were called to the home, 4868 Ventura, at 3:37 p.m. after another sister, Arlene Harper, who also lives in the residence, woke up Friday to find that they were dead, Dr. Barnett said.

Police said that the furnace malfunctioned, and that the home was so crowded with the resident’s property that only one cold-air return vent was uncovered, causing the furnace to continue pushing heat into the home.