Electrical cause ruled in weekend apartment fire


Authorities on Monday said a weekend fire at a three-story apartment building near Toledo’s Old West End was accidental.

Toledo fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld said the cause was electrical in nature, and damage was estimated at $30,000.

Fire crews were called at 2:57 p.m. Sunday to 418 W. Bancroft St., where fire destroyed the top two apartments.

Lieutenant Hertzfeld said smoke detectors on the second floor were operating but the one in the the apartment where the fire started did not work because it did not have a battery.