Toledo police and fire crews and Columbia Gas workers confer at the scene of a gas flare-up in the 800 block of Utah Street.
THE BLADE/DAVE ZAPOTOSKY
An unidentified Columbia Gas of Ohio employee was treated today at Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center for burns to his face after natural gas from an underground pipeline caught fire and flared up at him about 11:45 a.m.
The accident occurred in the 800 block of Utah Street, an East Toledo residential neighborhood.
Columbia Gas has no reason to believe the worker veered from normal safety procedures the utility has established for when repairs are made to underground pipelines.
"It's very rare, but it happens sometimes," Chris Kozak, Columbia Gas spokesman, said, noting that pipeline repairs are a risky business under the best of circumstances.
A couple of nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution, but residents were allowed back inside once Toledo firefighters and Columbia Gas officials had the scene secured.
The employee is part of a crew that was making repairs to an old, 4-inch pipeline that had developed a small leak. He was in a hole where the pipeline is located, about four feet deep, Mr. Kozak said.
The utility spokesman described the injury as "serious, but not life threatening." Two police officers said the man was able to walk to the ambulance on his own power, holding his face.
Columbia Gas did not release his name.
The event was described by Mr. Kozak as a flare-up, not an explosion. Officials aren't sure what sparked it, he said.
Officials described the injuries as second-degree burns.