Boy gets 6 years for two shootings


A 13-year-old boy who pleaded guilty to two shootings was sentenced today to spend the next six years at a juvenile correctional facility.

Emilio Santellana pleaded guilty last week to three counts of felonious assault in Lucas County Juvenile Court. One count had a gun specification; the others were filed with complicity specifications.

The maximum time the Santellana youth could have been sentenced was eight years, said Assistant Prosecutor Lori Olender, who oversees the juvenile division.

He was first accused of shooting Steven Walker, 23, three times on Feb. 13 with a 22-caliber gun.

He shot Mr. Walker because he told police Mr. Walker "disresp.ected" him.

The teen told police he threw the gun into the Maumee River.

On April 25, the teen told police he gave a 25-caliber gun to another male who promised to "take care of" the youth's problem with Mr. Walker.

The youth reported hearing the other individual shoot at Mr. Walker seven or eight times; Mr. Walker was hit once in his right calf.

The other individual reportedly gave the gun back to the Santellana youth, who threw it in the Maumee River.