Youth, 14, to be in court on charges for Scott standoff

Youth brought pellet gun inside building

  • Scott-High-school-weapon

    Toledo police on the scene at Scott High today after a report of a person with a weapon.

    The Blade/Amy E. Voigt
    Buy This Image

  • Toledo police remove an unidentified student from Scott High School after a standoff today.
    Toledo police remove an unidentified student from Scott High School after a standoff today.

    A 14-year-old boy who took a pellet gun to Scott High School today, causing a lockdown and standoff with Toledo police, will appear in court Tuesday.

    Louis Stroude is charged with making terrorist threats and illegal conveyance of a weapon into a school, officials said.

    He is scheduled to appear in Lucas County juvenile court on Tuesday for a detention hearing.

    Police were called to the school, 2400 Collingwood Blvd., at 9:30 a.m., by school resource officers.

    PHOTO GALLERY: Standoff at Scott High School

    The Stroude youth had gone to the Behavioral Intervention Center, “the BIC room,” because he “thought he was supposed to be in suspension,” but was not, said police Lt. Mark King.

    A school security officer and teacher told the student he needed to leave the room but he refused, Lieutenant King said.

    The youth then pulled the handle of the gun, which officials said looked real, out of his backpack; it's not clear what the teen said, if anything.

    School officials called Toledo police, who responded with negotiators, patrol officers, and a SWAT team.

    The student was found inside a school hallway on the first floor, still with the bag which held the gun.

    Officers surrounded the teen and isolated him in the hallway and were able to talk to the boy, who never attempted to flee and still had the bag and gun with him, the lieutenant said.

    At one point, the youth “became agitated” and pulled out the gun but did not point it at anyone, the lieutenant said.

    Officers fired a single bean-bag round at the youth's torso; the youth's foot was also injured, though it was not clear how. He was treated by on-scene paramedics from the Toledo Fire Department.

    The youth was carried out of the school by Toledo police officers and taken to the downtown Safety Building for questioning before he was taken to juvenile lock up.

    No shots were fired and no other injuries were reported.

    Parents were able to pick up their children at the school at about noon.

    Normal school operations will resume Tuesday.

    The Stroude youth will face expulsion once the investigation is over, school officials said.