THE BLADE/KATIE RAUSCH Enlarge | Buy This Photo
A small roof fire today closed The Andersons on Talmadge Road near Monroe Street, but the store was back in operation about two hours later.
"It's fortunate we caught it in time and that it was minimal damage and interruption," said John Kowalski, the store manager.
Toledo Fire Department spokesman Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld said the roof of the department and grocery store in West Toledo caught fire while a generator was being load-tested. Firefighters had to remove an approximately 10-feet by 15-feet section of rubber roofing, he said. The fire occurred in the area of the generator exhaust in a loading dock area, he said.
No damage estimate was immediately available. No one was injured.
Fire crews were called shortly after 3:30 p.m. and the fire was declared under control about 4 p.m. The battalion chief on scene called for a Lucas County Health Department representative to assess the potential effect on food in the store. The store reopened about 6 p.m.
Mr. Kowalski said the fire affected only the building's exterior.
"Nothing penetrated inside the store," the manager said. "The fire was at the warehouse end of our store, so there was no risk to any food."
Refrigeration temperatures remained within the acceptable range for food, he said.