Dog, 3 puppies rescued from East Toledo fire


Toledo fire crews Monday investigated three house fires over the weekend.

Fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld said a space heater at 1225 Oak St. in East Toledo started a fire in the dining room at about 4:45 p.m. Sunday and caused $23,000 in damage. One dog and three puppies were rescued, the lieutenant said. The home did not have smoke alarms.

Two fires were reported Saturday. The first, at 1817 Sandringham Dr. at 12:36 p.m., was caused by electrical issues and started in the bathroom, causing $35,000 damage. No smoke alarms were in the house.

A fire at 727 Elizabeth St., a vacant house, was reported at 2:14 p.m. and caused $16,000 damage.

No injuries were reported.