Olivia Cline, 5, likely died of smoke inhalation in the Friday morning fire, officials said.
Jessica Cline had planned a fund-raiser today to help with medical expenses for a sister who has a rare neurological disorder.
But now, after fire destroyed the family home and killed her 5-year-old daughter, Olivia Cline, early Friday morning, that event is likely to take on a very different tone.
“At this point, we don’t even know what we’re going to do for food,” said Dee LaPoint, an aunt to Jessica Cline and great-aunt to Olivia, who noted that the 1 a.m. fire at 6032 Van Wormer Dr. destroyed a substantial amount of donated food and items to be offered at a silent auction during the fund-raiser today.
Toledo fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld said Saturday afternoon that the fire remained under investigation, but department officials were leaning toward declaring it to be of undetermined origin.
Firefighters found Olivia in a smoke-filled upstairs bedroom in the 1½ story dwelling. She was pronounced dead at ProMedica Toledo Hospital, and Lucas County Coroner Dr. James Patrick said later Friday that smoke inhalation appeared to be the cause of death, pending toxicology and other test results.
No other injuries were reported. Fire damage was estimated at $20,000, or more than two thirds of the house’s $27,200 value as assessed by the Lucas County auditor’s office.
The fund-raiser is planned for 3 to 7 p.m. today at Good Times Sports Bar & Grill, 5119 Jackman Rd. Ms. LaPoint said the family had managed to salvage some of the more than $4,000 in donated silent-auction items that were in the house when it burned.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.