Electrical fire damages central Toledo duplex


Fire that began in an electrical wall outlet caused serious damage to an occupied duplex early today in central Toledo.

Toledo firefighters responded about 5:20 a.m.to the fire at 746 and 744 Indiana Ave.

Battalion 2 Chief Timothy Clapp said the blaze started in a wall socket in a first-floor bedroom. He said the occupant noticed the smoke and tried to extinguish the fire and could not, and then alerted other occupants to evacuate.

Living in the house were four adults upstairs and two downstairs. Chief Clapp said the American Red Cross was notified to help occupants find temporary lodging.

The chief said the fire traveled up a wall to the attic and burned at least two rooms downstairs and one upstairs. He pegged damage at about $10,000.