Loading…
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsState
Published: Thursday, 6/16/2011 - Updated: 3 years ago

Chief: Ohio house fire that killed 6 likely caused by charcoal grill used well after midnight

ASSOCIATED PRESS
A firefighter sifts through the remains of an early morning house fire in Warren, Ohio, that killed six people Thursday. A firefighter sifts through the remains of an early morning house fire in Warren, Ohio, that killed six people Thursday.
ASSOCIATED PRESS Enlarge

WARREN, Ohio — A fire chief says a house fire that killed two adults and four children in northeast Ohio was likely caused by a charcoal grill still burning well after midnight.

Warren Fire Chief Ken Nussle says the grill was near the rear wall of the home and an abutting wooden fence. The Thursday morning fire burned a hole in the fence through which the clamshell grill can be seen on the back porch.

Next-door neighbor Deborah Ballard says two of the children killed might have been spending the night with the family who lived there. She says they had a backyard cookout Wednesday night with about eight to 10 people.

She says she was awakened by the smell of smoke and then saw flames "jumping off the roof."

Nussle says it appears the grill was still in use around 3 a.m. Thursday.

The names and ages of the victims were not immediately available.

A spokesman for the state fire marshal's office says no sign of smoke alarms were found in the home. 



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories


Points of Interest






Poll