Loading…
Thursday, November 27, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
HomeNewsState
Published: Tuesday, 4/29/2014

Court rules against young man in 4 Detroit deaths

ASSOCIATED PRESS

DETROIT  — The Michigan Supreme Court says a young Detroit man can’t withdraw his guilty plea to four murders that occurred when he was 14.

It’s a blow to Davontae Sanford, who has been trying to undo his guilty plea for more than five years. The Supreme Court order last week doesn’t end the case. But appellate lawyer Jonathan Sacks says an effort to clear Sanford will have to start from scratch.

Sanford is in prison for the deaths of four people in 2007. But weeks after Sanford’s guilty plea, a hit man took responsibility for the Runyon Street homicides.

Vincent Smothers insists Sanford had no role. Smothers is in prison for eight other killings and is willing to testify for Sanford.

Prosecutors continue to stick with Sanford’s conviction. He’s now 21.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories









Poll