YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio —A 4-month-old in a playpen was hospitalized with critical injuries after a neighbor’s fireworks landed on her on her Ohio porch.
A witness told police a 10-year-old neighbor of the Youngstown baby kicked over a lit tubular firework, which shot into the playpen, burning Aubree McCormick.
The baby was flown to the burn unit at Akron Children’s Hospital following the late Friday night accident.
A spokeswoman at Akron Children’s Hospital confirmed the hospital was treating the baby today, but said her condition wasn’t immediately available.
The child’s grandmother, Carol McCormick, injured her fingers rescuing the baby. She told WFMJ-TV in Youngstown the child’s entire face is burned.
“All I could do was just react,” McCormick said. “I didn’t think. I reacted. I grabbed hold of the firework and then the bed caught on fire that she was laying in.”
The child sustained first-, second- and third-degree burns on her face and hand, McCormick said.
Police are investigating.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.