2 sentenced in mob attack on motorist


DETROIT — A judge on Monday sentenced one man to prison and a second to probation for their involvement in a mob attack on a motorist who accidentally struck a boy with his pickup in Detroit.

Wonzey Saffold, 30, was sentenced Monday in Wayne County Circuit Court to six years and four months to 10 years in prison for his role in the April 2 beating of 54-year-old Steve Utash.

Judge James Callahan later sentenced Bruce Wimbush, 18, to three years of probation.

Both pleaded guilty in June to assault in exchange for having attempted murder charges dropped. Three others pleaded guilty in the attack and two of those are scheduled for sentencing Thursday.

The men, including some teenagers, surrounded Mr. Utash and beat him severely after he got out of his pickup to check on the 10-year-old boy, who had darted in front of him.

Mr. Utash, a tree trimmer from Macomb County, spent days in a coma. He has been released from a hospital but still is recovering from his injuries.

The attack sparked outrage. Elected city leaders and members of the clergy spoke out, asking the public to identify the attackers and pray for peace.

By April 9, a fifth suspect had been arrested.

Latrez Cummings, 19, and James Davis, 24, also pleaded guilty to assault and will be sentenced Thursday. A 16-year-old boy pleaded guilty to assault.

Judge Callahan told Saffold that the mob’s behavior “caused a tremendous upheaval in this city.”

“People are hesitant. They’re afraid to stop” for fear they’ll suffer the same fate, the judge said.

Five members of Mr. Utash’s family sat in the courtroom Monday. Four asked Judge Callahan to give Saffold the strictest sentence allowed.

“My brother was knocked down and couldn’t defend himself,” Ken Utash read from a statement, frequently turning to face Saffold. “They did an injustice, not just to my brother, but to the people of Detroit.”

Steve Utash’s sister-in-law, Mary Utash, looked at Saffold and said: “You disgust me and you’re a disgrace to America. It was a brutal beating.”

Saffold apologized to the court and Mr. Utash’s family.

His court-appointed attorney, Ray Page, said Saffold realized that what he did was wrong.

“The behavior was animalistic,” Mr. Page told the court. “He’s sorry. He’s going away to prison.”

Wimbush, who was 17 at the time of the attack, also apologized Monday. Wimbush has acknowledged punching Mr. Utash once in the jaw, but said he then stepped away and watched others continue the beating. After his arrest, Wimbush pointed out some of the attackers from surveillance video.

Outside the courtroom, Wimbush’s stepfather, David Cleveland, said they are praying for Mr. Utash.