Loading…
Friday, July 25, 2014
Current Weather
Loading Current Weather....
Published: Monday, 12/30/2013 - Updated: 6 months ago

BUSINESS BRIEF

Fire hits Owens-Illinois factory in Montreal

Facility damaged, no injuries reported

BLADE STAFF

MONTREAL — A fire damaged an Owens-Illinois Inc. facility in Montreal on Saturday, but nobody was injured. The fire was caused by a faulty heater and natural gas pipe leak, according to a Montreal TV station.

Of about 360 employees, about 70 were in the plant during the fire. The facility produces glass packaging for consumer products. Built in 1905, it was acquired by O-I in 2001.

The Montreal Fire Department estimated $5 million worth of damage. A spokesman for Perrysburg-based O-I said it was assessing the damage but the fire department estimate was probably too high. Some production lines resumed operations Sunday, the spokesman said.



Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. If a comment violates these standards or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box to report abuse. To post comments, you must be a Facebook member. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.

Related stories








Poll