Fire hits Owens-Illinois factory in Montreal

Facility damaged, no injuries reported


MONTREAL — A fire damaged an Owens-Illinois Inc. facility in Montreal on Saturday, but nobody was injured. The fire was caused by a faulty heater and natural gas pipe leak, according to a Montreal TV station.

Of about 360 employees, about 70 were in the plant during the fire. The facility produces glass packaging for consumer products. Built in 1905, it was acquired by O-I in 2001.

The Montreal Fire Department estimated $5 million worth of damage. A spokesman for Perrysburg-based O-I said it was assessing the damage but the fire department estimate was probably too high. Some production lines resumed operations Sunday, the spokesman said.