The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will advise you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
This week's rain has allowed little progress on the completion of a resurfacing project on I-475, forcing Sylvania Township ramps to be closed for additional nights this weekend.
From 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. tonight and tomorrow night, these ramps will be closed:
Expect additional nights for these closings if rain persists, and plan alternate routes to avoid detours.
From 7 a.m. until noon today, the ramp from Front Street to southbound I-280 will be closed for overhead construction work. A detour will take traffic north to Manhattan Boulevard, then return south on I-280.
The Road Warrior welcomes your comments or questions about driving conditions in and around Toledo. Contact him at email@example.com.
1. I-280, local streets: Construction associated with the new Maumee River bridge requires occasional off-peak lane closings between Navarre Avenue and I-75. Reduced speed limits are posted through the area. Ten-minute traffic stops may cause daytime delays.
Northbound I-280 ramps at the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway remain closed for construction while the I-280 bridge over the parkway is widened. Late next week, the ramps from southbound I-75 to Manhattan Boulevard and from Manhattan to northbound I-75 will close for two days during intersection work. Use the Stickney Avenue ramps instead.
Westbound Front Street is reduced to one lane, between Consaul Street and I-280. Ash and Huron streets are both closed at I-280. Manhattan is restricted to one lane in each direction at I-280 for bridge reconstruction. Seaman Street is closed at I-280 for bridge painting and pavement reconstruction until July 28.
2. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway), I-475: Road widening and reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way between I-475 and Holloway Road. Through-traffic should plan alternate routes to minimize delays. McCord Road is closed on the north side of Airport until July 22. A posted detour uses Holland-Sylvania Road.
3. I-75, U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Overpass reconstruction requires lane closings on I-75 that may delay traffic during midday and nighttime hours. On U.S. 24, traffic is reduced to one lane each way at I-75, just north of Monroe Street. Left turns are prohibited at the southbound I-75 entrance and exit ramps, requiring detours.
A resurfacing project requires lane closings on Detroit between Nebraska and Woodruff avenues through late October. Expect delays, especially south of Dorr Street.
4. State Rt. 51: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way at varying locations between the Toledo-Oregon line and State Rt. 579. Work east of Route 579 requires flag zones. Delays are likely.
5. U.S. 6: Bridge reconstruction reduces traffic to one lane between the two State Rt. 199 junctions in Wood County.
6. Eckel Junction Road: Road widening work closes the road to through-traffic between Fort Meigs Road and State Rt. 25. The road is blocked at the CSX railroad crossing until July 28.
7. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bridge: Reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way. Delays are likely during daytime hours.
8. State Rt. 25: Bridge reconstruction south of Portage reduces traffic to one lane each way.
9. State Rt. 2/U.S. 20A (Airport Highway): Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way between Swanton and the Ohio Turnpike.
10. West South Boundary Street: Widening restricts traffic to one direction between State Rts. 25 and 199, with delays likely.
11. I-75: Nighttime resurfacing requires varying lane closings between the downtown Toledo viaduct and just north of the I-475 junction. Work hours will be 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
12. Miami Street: Reconstruction restricts traffic to northbound only between Fassett and Oak streets until December. Navarre Avenue and Wilmot Street will be closed at Miami till mid-August.
13. I-475: Pavement repairs and resurfacing require nighttime lane closings and occasional ramp closings between U.S. 23 and I-75, from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m., through next week.
14. I-75: Nighttime resurfacing requires lane restrictions from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. between Bowling Green and Cygnet through Sept. 13.
15. State Rt. 163: Road realignment closes the route between the Ottawa-Wood county line and Genoa. Detour via State Rt. 51 and I-280.
16. State Rt. 25: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way in work zone areas between State Rt. 582 and Roachton Road.
17. South Avenue: Replacement of the Swan Creek bridge closes the street between Lynnhaven Drive and Woodsdale Avenue until late September. Detour via Airport Highway.
18. State Rt. 120 (Central Avenue): Traffic median work requires varying lane closings between Jackman Road and Kelly Avenue, including the Upton Avenue intersection, through Thursday.
19. Holland-Sylvania Road: Railroad crossing work closes the road just north of Stranahan Elementary School for five days, starting Monday. Through-traffic will be detoured by way of Sylvania Avenue, McCord Road, and Central Avenue.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Pavement reconstruction restricts traffic to two lanes each way between Northline Road and the River Rouge Bridge in Detroit. Delays are likely, especially during rush hours.
I-75/State Rt. 18: Interchange reconstruction requires lane closings near North Baltimore from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
I-275/I-94: In Romulus, Mich., the ramp from northbound I-275 to eastbound I-94 is closed. All Metro Airport traffic from Toledo should use the Eureka Road exit from I-275. Lane and ramp closings affect I-94 elsewhere near the airport during a reconstruction project through late July.
U.S. 23: A pavement reconstruction project restricts traffic to one lane each way between Summerfield Road and Dundee, Mich. Delays are likely, especially during peak hours.
In Wyandot County, construction of a new U.S. 30 interchange southeast of Upper Sandusky restricts traffic to one lane each way.
State Rt. 12: Overpass reconstruction closes the route at I-75 in Findlay until early October. South of Arcadia, Ohio, replacement of two culverts closes the route through July 31.
State Rts. 18/235: Railroad crossing work closes both routes in Hoytville, Ohio.
State Rt. 53: Sewer construction occasionally closes Route 53 on the north side of Tiffin.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.