The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will advise you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
A host of detours will affect traffic at the north end of I-280 as reconstruction of the Manhattan Boulevard overpasses and work on the new Maumee River bridge continues.
All southbound I-280 traffic will be detoured for two hours, starting at 7 tonight, while drilling equipment is moved across the roadway into the median north of Summit Street. Through traffic will be detoured via I-75 and State Rt. 795. Local traffic may use I-280 south of Summit.
After 9 p.m., southbound I-280 will reopen, but the ramp from southbound I-75 will remain closed until 6 p.m. Sunday for overpass demolition at Manhattan. Traffic will be rerouted via the Stickney/Lagrange interchange and the northbound I-75 ramp to I-280.
Three of the four Manhattan ramps closed yesterday morning, and the fourth - the southbound I-280 exit - will close at 7 p.m. today. The new southbound exit to Manhattan will open on Sunday and be a left-hand ramp.
The Manhattan entrance to northbound I-280/I-75 will reopen at 6 a.m. tomorrow. The northbound I-280 exit at Manhattan will reopen Aug. 26. The Manhattan entrance to southbound I-280 will remain closed until April.
Culvert work on State Rt. 65 requires detours starting Monday. The affected locations are south of Perrysburg and in Grand Rapids.
The Road Warrior welcomes your comments or questions about driving conditions in and around Toledo. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. I-280, local streets: Construction associated with the new Maumee River bridge requires intermittent traffic stops north of Navarre Avenue. Reduced speed limits are posted through the area. Several detours near Manhattan Boulevard this weekend are listed above.
The northbound exit at the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway is closed until August, 2005. The southbound entrance at Greenbelt is closed until mid-November. At Summit Street, only the northbound exit and southbound entrance from southbound Summit remain open.
Westbound Front Street is reduced to one lane between Consaul Street and I-280. Ash and Huron streets are both closed at I-280. Manhattan is restricted to one lane in each direction at I-280 for bridge reconstruction.
2. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway), I-475: Road widening and median construction restricts traffic to one lane each way between I-475 and Holloway Road. Through-traffic should plan alternate routes to avoid delay. Spring Valley Drive remains closed at Airport.
3. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue), I-75: Overpass reconstruction requires lane closings on I-75 that may delay traffic during midday and nighttime hours. On U.S. 24, traffic is reduced to one lane each way at I-75, just north of Monroe Street. Left turns are prohibited at the southbound I-75 entrance and exit ramps, requiring detours.
Resurfacing projects require lane closings on Detroit between Nebraska and Woodruff avenues and on Fearing Boulevard between Airport Highway and Buckingham Street. Expect delays, especially south of Dorr Street.
4. State Rt. 51: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way at varying locations between the Toledo-Oregon line and I-280. Delays are likely.
5. U.S. 6: Bridge reconstruction reduces traffic to one lane between the two State Rt. 199 junctions in Wood County.
6. Eckel Junction Road: Road widening work closes the road to through-traffic between Fort Meigs Road and State Rt. 25.
7. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bridge: Reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way. Daytime delays are likely.
8. State Rt. 25: Bridge reconstruction south of Portage cuts traffic to one lane each way.
9. State Rt. 2/U.S. 20A (Airport Highway): Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way between Swanton and the Ohio Turnpike through Aug. 29.
10. West South Boundary Street: Widening restricts traffic to one direction between State Rts. 25 and 199, with delays likely.
11. I-75: Nighttime resurfacing requires varying lane closings between the downtown Toledo viaduct and I-475. Work hours are 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. For six nights, starting Sunday, overpass painting at Central Avenue will require northbound lane and ramp closings near the Jeep Parkway exit.
12. Miami Street: Reconstruction restricts traffic to northbound only between Fassett and Oak streets until December. Navarre Avenue and Wilmot Street will be closed at Miami until mid-August.
13. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Road): Pavement repairs and resurfacing restrict traffic to one lane each way between I-75 and Raintree Parkway. Expect delays.
14. I-75: Nighttime resurfacing requires lane restrictions from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. between Bowling Green and Cygnet through Sept. 13.
15. State Rt. 163: Road realignment closes the route between the Ottawa-Wood county line and Genoa. Detour via State Rt. 51 and I-280.
16. State Rt. 295/U.S. 24: Turn lane construction closes Route 295 at U.S. 24 until Oct. 15. Detour via U.S. 24 and State Rt. 64. Delays may occur on U.S. 24.
17. South Avenue: Replacement of the Swan Creek bridge closes the street between Lynnhaven Drive and Woodsdale Avenue until late September. Detour via Airport Highway.
18. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Construction associated with a new pump station for the railroad underpass near Dura Avenue restricts southbound traffic to one lane.
19. State Rt. 65: A culvert replacement closes the road between Fort Meigs and Hull Prairie roads, near Perrysburg, for 45 days starting Monday. Detour via State Rts. 25 and 582.
20. State Rt. 65: A culvert replacement closes the route near West Street in Grand Rapids, with a detour of State Rt. 235 and U.S. 6, for 45 days starting Monday.
21. Sylvania Avenue: Railroad crossing repairs close the road between Holland-Sylvania and McCord roads for four days, starting Monday. Detour via Central Avenue.
22. Lewis Avenue: Sewer repairs close the street to through traffic between Eleanor Avenue and Dryden Drive for five days, starting Monday. Detour via Sylvania Avenue, Bennett Road, and Eleanor.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Pavement reconstruction restricts traffic to two lanes each way between Northline Road and the River Rouge Bridge in Detroit. Delays are likely, especially during rush hours.
I-75: Interchange reconstruction requires lane closings near North Baltimore from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Pavement repairs on interchange ramps between Lima and Findlay may require lane restrictions on the I-75 mainline, as does bridge work south of Findlay, particularly at night.
U.S. 23: A pavement reconstruction project restricts traffic to one lane each way between Summerfield Road and Dundee, Mich. Delays are likely, including on weekends. Use I-75, I-275, and I-94 to get to Ann Arbor.
U.S. 24: Repairs and resurfacing require varying flag zones between the Ohio-Indiana line and Defiance. Delays are likely.
State Rt. 12: Overpass reconstruction closes the route at I-75 in Findlay until early October.
State Rt. 53: Sewer construction closes the route north of Tiffin on Monday, continuing until early October.