The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will advise you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
Yet another weekend of ramp closings is in store for motorists on Toledo area freeways, both for the I-280 modernization program and for an overpass repainting project on I-75. There also will be a lane closing on southbound I-280.
At 7 tonight, southbound I-280 will be reduced to one lane between Front Street and Starr Avenue for concrete pavement construction. The lane closing will end by 6 a.m. Monday. On Tuesday and Wednesday nights, southbound I-280 traffic will be shifted over to the rebuilt southbound lanes south of Seaman Street.
Also at 7 tonight, the northbound I-75 ramp to southbound I-280 will close, as will the ramp from northbound I-280 to northbound I-75. The former will be closed until 6 a.m. Monday, while the latter will reopen at 5 p.m. tomorrow. The ramp from northbound I-280 to southbound I-75 will close once the ramp to northbound I-75 reopens, and remain closed until 6 a.m. Monday. Detours will be posted during the closings, which will allow demolition of the northern half of the Manhattan Boulevard overpass.
Starting tomorrow night, the eastbound I-475 ramp to northbound I-75 will be closed for three nights, starting at 8 p.m. each night, during repainting of the Central Avenue overpass. The ramp will reopen at 8 a.m. Sunday and at 6 a.m. Monday and Tuesday. The northbound I-75/eastbound I-475 exit to Jeep and Willys parkways then will close for 48 hours, starting at about 6 a.m. Tuesday.
The Road Warrior welcomes your comments or questions about driving conditions in and around Toledo. E-mail him at email@example.com.
1. I-280, local streets: Construction associated with the new Maumee River bridge requires intermittent traffic stops north of Navarre Avenue. Reduced speed limits are posted through the area.
The northbound exit at the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway is closed until August, 2005. The southbound entrance at Greenbelt is closed until mid-November. At Summit Street, only the northbound exit and southbound entrance from southbound Summit remain open.
Westbound Front Street is reduced to one lane between Consaul Street and I-280. Ash and Huron streets are both closed at I-280. Manhattan is restricted to one lane in each direction at I-280 for bridge reconstruction.
2. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway), I-475: Road widening and median construction restricts traffic to one lane each way between I-475 and Holloway Road. Through-traffic should plan alternate routes to avoid delay. Spring Valley Drive remains closed at Airport.
3. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue), I-75: Overpass reconstruction requires lane closings on I-75 that may delay traffic during midday and nighttime hours. On U.S. 24, traffic is reduced to one lane each way at I-75, just north of Monroe Street. Left turns are prohibited at the southbound I-75 entrance and exit ramps, requiring detours.
Resurfacing projects require lane closings on Detroit between Nebraska and Woodruff avenues and on Fearing Boulevard between Airport Highway and Buckingham Street. Expect delays, especially south of Dorr Street. Fearing is closed today between Hill and Brown avenues, with a detour via Nebraska Avenue, Parkside Boulevard, and Hill.
4. State Rt. 51: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way at varying locations between the Toledo-Oregon line and I-280. Delays are likely. Work starts tomorrow on the section within the city of Oregon.
5. U.S. 6: Bridge reconstruction reduces traffic to one lane between the two State Rt. 199 junctions in Wood County.
6. Eckel Junction Road: Road widening work closes the road to through-traffic between Fort Meigs Road and State Rt. 25.
7. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bridge: Reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way. Daytime delays are likely.
8. State Rt. 25: Bridge reconstruction south of Portage cuts traffic to one lane each way.
9. State Rt. 2/U.S. 20A (Airport Highway): Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way between Swanton and the Ohio Turnpike through Sept. 12.
10. West South Boundary Street: Widening restricts traffic to one direction between State Rts. 25 and 199, with delays likely.
11. I-75: Nighttime resurfacing requires varying lane closings between the downtown Toledo viaduct and I-475. Overpass painting at Central Avenue requires varying lane and ramp closings. Work hours are 7 p.m. to 6 a.m.
12. Miami Street: Reconstruction restricts traffic to northbound only between Fassett and Oak streets until December. Navarre Avenue and Wilmot Street are scheduled to reopen at Miami today.
13. State Rt. 184 (Alexis Road): Pavement repairs and resurfacing require lane restrictions between I-75 and Raintree Parkway. Expect delays.
14. I-75: Nighttime resurfacing requires lane restrictions from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. between Bowling Green and Cygnet through Sept. 13.
15. State Rt. 163: Road realignment closes the route between the Ottawa-Wood county line and Genoa. Detour via State Rt. 51 and I-280.
16. State Rt. 295/U.S. 24: Turn lane construction closes Route 295 at U.S. 24 until Oct. 15. Detour via U.S. 24 and State Rt. 64. Delays may occur on U.S. 24.
17. South Avenue: Replacement of the Swan Creek bridge closes the street between Lynnhaven Drive and Woodsdale Avenue until late September. Detour via Airport Highway.
18. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Construction associated with a new pump station for the railroad underpass near Dura Avenue restricts traffic to one lane each way.
19. State Rt. 65: A culvert replacement closes the road between Fort Meigs and Hull Prairie roads, near Perrysburg, through September. Detour via State Rts. 25 and 582.
20. State Rt. 65: A culvert replacement closes the route near West Street in Grand Rapids through September. Detour via State Rt. 235 and U.S. 6.
21. Lewis Avenue: Sewer repairs close the street to through traffic between Eleanor Avenue and Dryden Drive through today. Detour via Sylvania Avenue, Bennett Road, and Eleanor.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Pavement reconstruction restricts traffic to two lanes each way between Northline Road and the River Rouge Bridge in Detroit. Delays are likely, especially during rush hours.
I-75: Interchange reconstruction requires lane closings near North Baltimore from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Bridge work south of Findlay requires lane closings between 8 p.m. Sunday and 8 a.m. Friday weekly. Pavement repairs on interchange ramps between Lima and Findlay may require lane restrictions on the I-75 mainline as well.
U.S. 23: A pavement reconstruction project restricts traffic to one lane each way between Summerfield Road and Dundee, Mich. Delays are likely, including on weekends. Use I-75, I-275, and I-94 to get to Ann Arbor.
U.S. 24: Repairs and resurfacing require varying flag zones between the Ohio-Indiana line and Defiance. Delays are likely.
State Rt. 12: Overpass reconstruction closes the route at I-75 in Findlay until early October.
State Rt. 53: Sewer construction closes the route north of Tiffin until early October.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.