The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He will advise you which locations to avoid and what detours to take.
State Rt. 25 will be closed at Roachton Road for eight hours, starting at 10 p.m. Saturday, while overhead power lines are moved. Traffic will be detoured via State Rt. 582, I-75, and I-475/U.S. 23.
I-75 through Toledo's near north side remains the road to avoid in the area through next week. ODOT says the contractor repairing three bridges now is working around-the-clock, but cold or wet weather next week could slow progress.
The Road Warrior welcomes your comments or questions about driving conditions in and around Toledo. E-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. I-280, local streets: Construction associated with the new Maumee River bridge requires intermittent traffic stops north of Navarre Avenue, along with occasional nighttime and weekend lane closings. Reduced speed limits are posted through the area.
The northbound exit at the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway is closed until August, 2005. The southbound entrance at the parkway is closed until mid-November. At Summit Street, only the northbound exit and southbound entrance from southbound Summit remain open. At Navarre, traffic entering northbound I-280 is detoured to the Starr Avenue entrance.
Westbound Front Street is reduced to one lane between Consaul Street and I-280. Ash and Huron streets are closed at I-280. Manhattan is restricted to one lane in each direction at I-280 for bridge reconstruction.
2. State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway), I-475: The Spring Meadows reconstruction and widening project is nearly finished, with all lanes expected to be open by Nov. 7. At least two lanes are open in each direction.
3. U.S. 24: Reconstruction and resurfacing require lane closings on Detroit between Dorr Street and Woodruff Avenue, and on Detroit and Fearing Boulevard between Airport Highway and Nebraska Avenue.
4. State Rt. 51: Resurfacing restricts traffic to one lane each way at varying locations between State Rt. 579 and the Toledo-Oregon line. Delays are likely.
5. State Rt. 199: Culvert replacement closes the route south of State Rt. 582 until Oct. 31. Detour via Route 582, I-75, and State Rt. 105.
6. Eckel Junction Road: Road-widening work closes the road to through-traffic between Fort Meigs Road and State Rt. 25. Local access is provided eastbound only.
7. Martin Luther King, Jr., Bridge: Reconstruction restricts traffic to one lane each way. Daytime delays are likely.
8. I-75: Bridge repairs restrict traffic to a single lane in each direction between I-280 and Phillips Avenue through Nov. 9. The northbound entrance at Stickney-Lagrange is closed until Tuesday, after which the southbound entrance there and the northbound entrance at Phillips is scheduled to close. The shift could be delayed by cold weather.
9. Miami, First streets: Reconstruction closes this route between Navarre Avenue and Oak Street. Detour via Oak and Fassett streets.
10. West South Boundary Street: Widening restricts traffic to one lane at times between State Rts. 25 and 199, with delays likely.
11. Holland-Sylvania Road: Railroad crossing repairs close the road to through traffic between Airport Highway and Angola Road through today.
12. U.S. 20A: A culvert replacement closes Maumee-Western Road between Albon and Crissey roads in Monclova Township on Wednesday. A posted detour will follow Briarfield Boulevard, Salisbury Road, I-475/U.S. 23, and State Rt. 2 (Airport Highway). Passenger vehicles may use Salisbury or Monclova Road instead. Work is scheduled for Nov. 10 completion.
13. Laskey Road: A street reconstruction restricts traffic to eastbound only west of Secor Road. Use Monroe Street and Secor Road or Alexis Road as alternatives. The southbound right lane is closed on Secor at Laskey, causing rush-hour delays.
14. I-475/U.S. 23: Lighting maintenance requires left lane closings from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. between the U.S. 23/I-475 split in Sylvania and I-75 near Perrysburg through Nov. 7. Minor delays are possible.
15. I-75: Lighting maintenance requires left-lane closings from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. between the I-475 junction near Perrysburg and the DiSalle Bridge through Nov. 7. Delays are unlikely.
OFF THE MAP
I-75 (Michigan): Concrete pavement repair work requires lane and ramp closings near Monroe, including two-lane closings on weekends that may cause long delays. Varying daytime lane closings occur between Northline Road and the River Rouge bridge in metro Detroit.
I-75 (Ohio), State Rt. 18: Interchange reconstruction requires I-75 lane closings near North Baltimore from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. Delays are possible on Route 18 as well.
U.S. 20A/State Rt. 2: Resurfacing requires daytime flag zones between the east side of Delta and the State Rt. 109 junction west of town.
U.S. 24 (Ohio): Final work associated with recent repaving requires weekday flag zones between the Ohio-Indiana line and Defiance. Expect delays.