The Blade's Road Warrior tells readers where the biggest driving headaches will be throughout the construction season. He'll tell you which spots to avoid and what detours to take.
Southbound I-75 remains closed on the north side of Detroit because of an accident Tuesday when a crane truck struck an overpass. The posted detour follows Eight Mile Road and the Davison and Lodge freeways.
To avoid potential delay, use I-696 and I-275 to travel south from Oakland County destinations. Southbound I-75 is expected to reopen by Sunday.
1. I-280: The northbound lanes will be closed between State Rt. 2 and the Craig Bridge from 6 a.m. tomorrow until 3 p.m. Sunday. Through-traffic will be detoured via State Rt. 795 and I-75. Bridge construction also causes occasional daytime traffic stops up to 10 minutes in either direction between the Buckeye Basin Greenbelt Parkway and Starr Avenue. A 35-mph speed limit is posted.
The following ramps are temporarily closed: Manhattan Boulevard to southbound I-280, the Greenbelt to southbound I-280, and northbound I-280 to the Greenbelt. Except for the northbound I-280 exit at Summit Street and the southbound Summit entrance to southbound I-280, all ramps at Summit have been closed permanently.
Manhattan is reduced to one lane each way at I-280, and southbound Front Street is one lane at I-280. Ash and Huron streets are closed at the freeway.
2. I-475: Preparations for bridge work at Holland-Sylvania Road require night lane closings (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.) on I-475. Holland-Sylvania will be reduced to one lane in each direction starting Monday.
3. King Bridge: Reconstruction reduces traffic to one lane in each direction.
4. U.S. 24 (Detroit Avenue): Bridge repairs restrict traffic to one lane in each direction between Phillips Avenue and Collingwood Boulevard. Delays are likely.
5. U.S. 20: Bridge repairs at the Portage River restrict traffic to one lane each way on the east side of Woodville. Starting Monday, pavement repairs will require lane closings through Woodville. Delays are likely.
6. State Rt. 64: A widening project requires lane closings on East Wooster Street in Bowling Green. Major construction associated with a widening project between I-75 and Mercer Road in Bowling Green begins on Monday. Expect lane closings and traffic delays.
Storm sewer work will close Thurstin Avenue between Wooster and Court streets from 6 a.m. until 8 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday.
7. West South Boundary Street: Widening closes the road to through-traffic between State Rts. 25 and 199 until late August. Use Eckel Junction Road instead. Local traffic may be delayed.
8. State Rt. 25: Intersection work at Roachton Road closes the left lane in each direction starting Monday. Expect delays.
OFF THE MAP
I-75: Crack sealing requires day-to-day lane closings between Lima and Beaverdam, Ohio. Work is scheduled for Monday through Thursday, weather permitting.
I-75/State Rt. 18: Work associated with replacement of the Route 18 bridge near North Baltimore requires occasional nighttime lane closings on I-75.
U.S. 6/20: Resurfacing requires lane closings on the Fremont Bypass. Delays are possible.
U.S. 224: A bridge replacement closes the route between Welly Road and Seneca County Road 591 through mid-May.
Detour via State Rts. 53 and 587.53.33917 -6.250385