Weather service issues heat advisory for afternoon
Children cool off at the Savage Water Play Area on Nebraska Avenue on July 9.
The National Weather Service in Cleveland has issued a heat advisory for a number of northwest Ohio counties from 1 to 9 p.m. today.
Included in the advisory are Lucas, Wood, Ottawa, and Sandusky counties.
The Area Office on Aging of Northwestern Ohio, Inc. extended hours at some of its emergency cooling centers to allow residents a refuge from the heat.
RELATED ARTICLE: Residents seek relief from heat, humidity
A high of 92 is forecast for today but the weather service said a combination of high humidity and temperatures will cause the heat index values to reach between 100 and 104. The heat index, sometimes referred to as the apparent temperature, is given in degrees Fahrenheit and measures how hot it really feels like when relative humidity is factored in with the actual air temperature.
Residents are told to avoid unnecessary activity during the heat of the day.
With an unusually high heat index, some emergency cooling centers in Lucas County have extended their hours Wednesday and Thursday.
Hours for local centers are:
- East Toledo Senior Center, 1001 White St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- J. Frank Troy Senior Center, 1235 Division St., 9 a.m. to when the last senior leaves.
- Friendship Park Senior Center, 2930 131st St., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Zablocki Senior Center, 3015 Lagrange St., 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Margaret Hunt Senior Center, 2121 Garden Lake Pkwy., 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Sylvania Senior Center, 7140 W. Sylvania Ave., 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Eleanor Kahle Senior Center, 1315 Hillcrest Dr., 8:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday.
- Community Development Center, 330 Oak Terrace Blvd., 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Senior Center, Inc., 2308 Jefferson Ave., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Maumee Senior Center, 2430 S. Detroit Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Mayores Senior Center, 2 Aurora Gonzales Dr., 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday and 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
- Hancock Senior Center, 5760 Bayshore Rd., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., and later if needed.
- East Toledo Family Center, 1020 Varland Ave., 8 a.m. to 8 p.m
The following locations in other northwest Ohio counties are acting as emergency cooling centers Wednesday and Thursday:
- Defiance County Senior Center, 140 E. Broadway St., 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Hicksville Area Senior Center, 708 E. High St., 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Erie County Senior Center, 620 E. Water St., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Fulton County Senior Center, 240 Clinton St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Henry County Senior Center, 130 E. Clinton Street, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Danbury Senior Center, 8470 E. Harbor Rd., 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Elmore Senior Center, 19225 W. Witty Rd., Thursday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Oak Harbor Senior Center, 8180 West St., Rt. 163, Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Port Clinton Senior Center, 320 E. Third St., Thursday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Put-In-Bay Senior Center, 195 Concord Ave. Call 419-285-5501 for hours.
- Paulding County Senior Center, 401 E. Jackson St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sandusky County Senior Center, 600 W. State St., 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Clyde Senior Center, 900 N. Woodland Ave., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Woodville Senior Center, 321 E. Main St., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Gibsonburg Senior Center, 100 Meadow Ln., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Bryan Senior Center, 1201 S. Portland St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Edgerton Senior Center, 317 N. Michigan Ave., 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Edon Area Senior Center, 320 Parkway St., 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Montpelier Senior Center, 325 N. Jonesville St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pioneer Senior Center, 100 N. Elm St.,9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Stryker Senior Center, 102 E. Mulberry St., 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- West Unity Senior Center, 509 N. Main St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- North Baltimore Area Senior Center, 514 W. Water St., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Northeast Area Senior Center, 705 N. Main St., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Pemberville Area Senior Center, 220 Cedar St., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Rossford Area Senior Center, 400 Dixie Hwy., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Wayne Area Senior Center, 202 E. Main St., 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wood County Senior Center, 305 N. Main St., Wednesday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Perrysburg Area Senior Center, 140 W Indiana Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.