A fire at a Five Points duplex Wednesday was started by a child with a lighter.
The fire at 4031 Vermaas Ave. was reported at 3:02 a.m. and caused $16,000 damage to the West Toledo home, said fire Lt. Matthew Hertzfeld.
Only two people — the child and an adult — were home; no injuries were reported.
Lieutenant Hertzfeld said there were no smoke detectors inside the property, which was built in 1902 and is valued at $19,000. The property is owned by Robert Huven of Temperance, according to the Lucas County auditor’s Web site.
At least two other fires were among the 240 runs that fire crews were dispatched to during the 24-hour shift that started Tuesday morning.
A fire in a 24-unit apartment building at 1919 W. Alexis Rd. was reported at 6:49 p.m. Tuesday. The fire, caused by a rolled-up carpet against an electrical heater vent, caused $10,000 damage, Lieutenant Hertzfeld said. No injuries were reported. The apartment complex is valued at $534,000.
At 5:11 p.m. Tuesday, a fire was reported at 1815 Lagrange St.
The fire was ruled accidental because of an electrical problem.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.