Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. BART WORKERS GO ON STRIKE
Transit workers walk off the job in the San Francisco Bay area after labor talks break down.
2. OBAMA HAS THREE-ITEM TO-DO LIST FOR CONGRESS
The president wants to tackle immigration, farm legislation and the budget by the end of the year.
3. GOVERNMENT GETTING BACK TO NORMAL
The crab boats are at sea, the loggers are in the forest and the panda cam is on as furloughed employees return to work.
4. WHY ARCHAEOLOGISTS ARE DIGGING UNDER A FORT IN INDIA
A popular Hindu holy man said a former king appeared to him in a dream and told him that there is a $50 billion treasure hidden there.
5. OBAMA TAPS EX-PENTAGON LAWYER AS HOMELAND SECURITY CHIEF
An administration official says the president will nominate Jeh Johnson because of his experience as a national security leader.
6. WHAT SET OFF A MANHUNT IN FLORIDA
Forged documents led to the mistaken release of two convicted killers serving life in prison, authorities say.
7. SCIENTIST BELIEVES HE’S SOLVED MYSTERY OF THE YETI
DNA analysis suggests the elusive ape-like creature in the Himalayas is really a bear.
8. HOW A SKULL SHEDS LIGHT ON EARLY HUMANS
Researchers say the 1.8 million-year-old fossil provides the earliest evidence of human ancestors moving out of Africa and spreading north.
9. CHARACTER ACTOR ED LAUTER DIES AT 74
His long and prolific career included roles in “The Longest Yard” and “The Artist.”
10. NOLAN RYAN DECIDES TO STEP DOWN
The Hall of Fame pitcher says this is the right time for him to retire after six years as CEO of the Texas Rangers.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.