Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHO’S NEXT ON THE HEALTH CARE HOT SEAT
U.S. lawmakers are preparing to grill Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius as some Republicans are calling for her to step down or be fired.
2. WHY ANGELA MERKEL IS SO SENSITIVE TO SPYING
The German chancellor grew up in East Germany, where eavesdropping by secret police was rampant during the Cold War.
3. POLIO ADDS MISERY TO SYRIA’S GRIM REALITY
An outbreak of the virus has the U.N. and others rushing to vaccinate the nation’s children.
4. WHAT IKE SKELTON WILL BE REMEMBERED FOR
The Democrat who served 34 years in Congress never served in the military but took pride in fighting on behalf of the men and women of the U.S. armed forces.
5. BREAST CANCER BRACELET FIGHT CONTINUES
A Pennsylvania school board plans to petition the U.S. Supreme Court to hear its case on banning the bands, which it says are lewd.
6. 3 DEAD AFTER ARIZONA DUST STORM LEADS TO CRASHES
Nineteen vehicles are involved in chain-reaction collisions on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Tucson.
7. ‘ENTOURAGE’ MOVIE TO START SHOOTING IN JANUARY
The big-screen version of the HBO series will reunite Jeremy Piven, Adrian Grenier, Jerry Ferrara, Kevin Dillon and Kevin Connolly.
8. WHERE RUSSIA IS BREAKING ITS ‘ZERO WASTE’ OLYMPIC PLEDGE
Moscow’s promise to hold the cleanest games ever is being buried in an illegal landfill outside Sochi.
9. CARDS HANDING THE BALL TO ROOKIE PITCHER
St. Louis, facing a must-win Game 6, is hoping for one more October gem from Michael Wacha.
10. HEAT GET RINGS, THEN HOLD OFF BULLS
Miami puts up the title banner for the 2013 NBA championship before beating Chicago 107-95.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.