Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ‘THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD’S GONE’
Michael Perdun of Washington, Ill., is among scores of Midwesterners who lost homes as tornadoes and severe thunderstorms hit the region Sunday, causing fatalities and extensive damage.
2. WHICH STATE IS MANUALLY FILING ‘OBAMACARE’ APPLICATIONS
Oregon is struggling to deal with thousands of paper files because its online exchange is still not working.
3. INVESTIGATORS PROBE RUSSIA PLANE CRASH
All passengers and crew are killed as a Boeing 737 jetliner crashes and bursts into flames while trying to land at the airport in Kazan, about 450 miles east of Moscow.
4. WHY A TAHRIR SQUARE MEMORIAL IS SPARKING PROTESTS
Some say the tribute to Egypt’s fallen demonstrators is an attempt to gloss over the continuing turmoil.
5. TORONTO MAYOR FACING YET ANOTHER SETBACK
City council could vote to strip Rob Ford of his remaining powers.
6. THE PHILIPPINES FACES TRANSPARENCY TEST ON TYPHOON AID
Manila wants to shake off any charges of corruption in its reconstruction plans.
7. WASHINGTON STATE’S LEGAL POT INDUSTRY DRAWS PROSPECTORS
Marijuana industry’s “Green Rush” is luring profit-seekers from diverse backgrounds.
8. GETTYSBURG TEXT: SACRED BUT ELUSIVE
No definitive edition exists of Lincoln’s famous speech that countless children have memorized.
9. BACHELET FAVORITE TO WIN CHILE’S RUNOFF ELECTIONS
The former president will face off her conservative rival in the December poll after a strong showing in Sunday’s vote.
10. HOW JFK’S IDEAS LIVE ON
New website asks people to share how Kennedy and his legacy have inspired them.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.