Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. NORTHERN PLAINS FACE ARCTIC BLAST
A cold snap is causing the mercury to drop to sub-zero temperatures in North Dakota and Montana and will continue through the weekend.
2. MEXICAN TROOPS SEEK WAYS TO DEAL WITH RADIOACTIVE SHIPMENT
Police officers are guarding the highly-radioactive cobalt-60 material that was in a stolen truck in central Mexico until they find a way to transport it safely.
3. OFFICIALS SAY 15 SOLDIERS KILLED IN YEMEN SUICIDE BOMBING
Troops later killed 12 gunmen who arrived minutes after the explosion at the defense ministry.
4. “HIGHWAY HYPNOSIS” MAY HAVE CAUSED METRO-NORTH CRASH
Driving along long, monotonous routes makes drivers experience a semi-trance — much like the one the train’s engineer was in according to his lawyer.
5. WHO IS GREETING VISITORS AT PEARL HARBOR MEMORIAL
Four surviving veterans from the attack, all in their 90s, volunteer at the site which witnessed a bloody bombing 72 years ago this week.
6. WHY VENEZUELA AND BITLY ARE AT ODDS WITH EACH OTHER
The Latin American nation is censoring the Web-address shortening service which Venezuelans use to spread news of their freefalling currency.
7. DOZENS OF PILOT WHALES STRANDED IN EVERGLADES
Eleven have died and wildlife workers are trying to lead the remaining 41 out of dangerously shallow waters.
8. 2014 COLOR OF THE YEAR HAS INNOVATIVE, FLATTERING TONES
Radiant Orchid, a version of purple, will replace emerald green as designers’ shade of choice.
9. MSNBC’S MARTIN BASHIR RESIGNS
After his inflammatory comments about Sarah Palin, the talk-show host says he now wants his colleagues to “be allowed to focus on the issues that matter.”
10. HEISMAN HOPEFUL TO FIND OUT HIS FATE
Jameis Winston, quarterback for top-ranked Florida State, will find out whether a prosecutor will charge him with sexual assault.