Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. NJ GOVERNOR’S OFFICE LINKED TO TRAFFIC JAM SCANDAL
Chris Christie denies involvement in a road shutdown apparently engineered to punish a Democratic mayor.
2. OBAMA MAY DIAL BACK PHONE SURVEILLANCE
The president is also considering restricting the NSA’s monitoring of foreign leaders as part of proposed intelligence changes.
3. SUICIDE BOMBER STRIKES IN BAGHDAD
The attack — likely retaliation for the Iraqi government’s campaign to retake two cities overrun by al-Qaida militants — kills at least 12.
4. MEDICS DETAIL HARASSMENT BY TURKISH AUTHORITIES
Several doctors who treated demonstrators during last summer’s Taksim Square upheaval tell the AP they were assaulted with tear gas and pressured to reveal the names of patients.
5. WHAT LED TO RODMAN’S OUTBURST
The ex-NBA star apologizes, and says he had been drinking before a TV interview in which he faulted an American missionary being held captive in North Korea.
6. COMPANIES MAKE GOOD ON CALORIE-CUTTING PLEDGE — AND THEN SOME
Some of the biggest food companies in the U.S. have cut calories in their products by more than 6.4 trillion — more than four times the amount they had promised.
7. WHERE FORCED ABORTIONS ARE CONSIDERED ACCEPTABLE
The procedures are one way China enforces its population limits.
8. FIRST DEATH FROM H5N1 BIRD FLU RECORDED IN NORTH AMERICA
Officials say the victim was traveling from China to Canada when the symptoms appeared, and that the risk to the general public is very low.
9. WHICH DAYTIME TV HOST IS A REAL PEOPLE PERSON
Ellen DeGeneres wins her 14th People’s Choice award — the most for a female entertainer.
10. ALL WRESTLING, ALL THE TIME
WWE — following the lead of the NFL, NHL, NBA and MLB — is launching an around-the-clock TV network.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.