Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SYRIA PEACE CONFERENCE STARTS NEW CHAPTER
The talks will be far more difficult as the sides representing Syria’s government and the armed opposition shift the discussion to politics.
2. WHY THE U.S. “WEALTH GAP” MATTERS
The gap between very rich Americans and everyone else is growing, and experts say it’s contributing to the slow recovery of the U.S. economy.
3. LITTLE CHANGED ONE YEAR AFTER NIGHTCLUB FIRE IN BRAZIL
Officials vowed never again after 242 young men and women were suffocated by toxic smoke, but almost nothing has been done to improve fire safety.
4. WHERE TEMPERATURES WILL PLUNGE ONCE AGAIN IN U.S.
Minneapolis may have highs below zero the next two days, and the rest of the Upper Midwest won’t be much warmer.
5. INVESTIGATORS BAFFLED BY MOTIVE OF SHOOTER IN MARYLAND ATTACK
Shopping mall where two employees were slain by 19-year-old armed with shotgun, homemade explosives is set to reopen under increased security.
6. AP POLL: FIXED HEALTH WEBSITE HASN’T FIXED EVERYTHING
Negative perceptions of the health care rollout have eased, but two-thirds of Americans say things still aren’t going well with the new insurance program.
7. WHAT OBAMA WILL TRY TO DO IN STATE OF THE UNION SPEECH
President will frame economic argument that Democrats hope will appeal to voters in Congressional elections in November.
8. STOCKS FALL SHARPLY IN ASIA FOR THIRD STRAIGHT DAY
Sell-off in markets worldwide began last Thursday. Investors are worried about slower growth and an end to the easy-money policies of central banks in the U.S. and Europe.
9. GRAMMY AWARDS CELEBRATE THE OUTCAST AND THE ODDBALL
Music’s biggest night lionizes French robots, white rappers espousing gay rights and a Goth girl uncomfortable with the current themes in pop music.
10. HOW PEYTON MANNING CHARACTERIZES THE GAME WE’RE ALL WAITING FOR
“The Super Bowl is a big deal,” the record-setting quarterback for the Denver Broncos says in a way that puts it all into perspective.