Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. MISERABLE COMMUTE MAY BE IN STORE FOR THE EAST
Another wintry mix hit the mid-Atlantic and Northeast during the night, making travel treacherous once again.
2. AP ANALYSIS SHOWS STAGGERING NUMBER OF CANCELED FLIGHTS
Airlines have eliminated more than 74,000 since Dec. 1. That’s 5.5 percent of all flights, and the most in more than 25 years.
3. WHY MORE AMERICANS AREN’T GETTING WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY
There’s a social stigma attached to having surgery to lose weight, but biggest reason is few insurers will pay for the procedure.
4. WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING ABOUT COMCAST-TIME WARNER CABLE DEAL
Predictably, perhaps, people took to the Internet Thursday to vent, citing high prices, missed appointments and fear of a monopoly.
5. ON VALENTINE’S DAY, IT’S BLIND BOVINE LOVE
Two blind, aging cows, both rescued from the slaughterhouse, find companionship at animal sanctuary in New York.
6. MAN-EATING TIGER ON THE PROWL IN NORTHERN INDIA
Female has claimed at least nine victims so far as she terrorizes villages.
7. DUBAI EMERGING AS GLOBAL POWERHOUSE IN FASHION
City is building district dedicated to the industry, and officials hope to make it a base for designers on par with Paris and New York.
8. “SUPERSTAR OF THE STAMP WORLD” TO BE SOLD AGAIN
British Guiana One-Cent Magenta has broken the auction record three times. It should fetch more than $10 million when it’s sold in June.
9. RESEARCH SAYS PARENTS SHOULD START TALKING TO BABIES EARLY
It’s the key to building language and vocabulary skills. And forget “baby talk"; long, complex sentences are good.
10. RESEARCHERS CLOSING IN ON HOLY GRAIL OF MREs
It’s a pizza that will last up to three years. Soldiers have asked for such a meal ready to eat since canned food in combat zones went away in 1981.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.