LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

To the editor: National anthem tradition at the Walleye game needs to end

11/15/2017
Students from Ottawa River Elementary School sing the National Anthem before a Toledo Walleye game at the Huntington Center in 2016.
Students from Ottawa River Elementary School sing the National Anthem before a Toledo Walleye game at the Huntington Center in 2016.

It’s time to end a disrespectful Toledo hockey tradition — the “Hit Somebody” chant at the end of the national anthem at Toledo Walleye games.

I was absolutely embarrassed for our city when this chant was expressed by hundreds at the Veterans Day game. My question to those who still disrespectfully utter this chant is this: Are you opposed to NFL players taking a knee during the anthem? If you are, then you are a hypocrite.

I consider kneeling quietly a much more acceptable practice than shouting out “Hit Somebody” during the anthem. Let’s end this disrespectful practice now.

SCOTT SCHUTT

Perrysburg 

Click here to submit a letter to the editor

Challenge grant inspiring to others

The challenge grant set up by Rose and Mark Makulinski to help five different locations that have had to deal with natural disasters (Nov. 7, “Toledoans to match gifts for disaster relief” Nov. 7) is incredibly generous. It inspired me to make donations of my own, especially knowing that any funds I give will be doubled.

I am not able to give as much as the Makulinskis, but smaller gifts, which have been matched, will add up and will certainly benefit the communities where the disasters have occurred.

RENEE S. DREW

Temperance, Mich.

Toledo police make city proud

The Toledo Police Department has made us proud again.

Last weekend, they helped confused travelers to Toledo find the SeaGate Centre for a national middle school wrestling tournament being held there. 

The tournament coincided with the holiday parade, necessitating the closure of streets downtown. Visitors to the city who missed all the notices, found polite courteous Toledo police officers who helped them to the tournament without drama or fanfare. 

Those visitors from around the nation who talked to me were very impressed with our city and our officers. Thank you, we’re proud of you.

VINCENT MORGILLO

Northwood