DETROIT — The city of Detroit says it won’t shut off water to people with unpaid bills for the next 15 days, the latest response to a controversy that caused a large protest last week.
The city gave an update Monday in bankruptcy court.
The water department stopped service to about 7,200 homes and businesses in June, compared to 1,570 in the same month last year. Water was restored to 43 percent after customers paid or worked out payment plans.
The issue gained wide attention when activists appealed to the United Nations for assistance. Separately, about 2,000 people protested last week during a national convention of liberal Democratic activists.
Bankruptcy Judge Steven Rhodes says people “need their water,” although he suggested he wouldn’t order any specific action.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.