Nine people, including five children, became homeless Tuesday when an electrical fire damaged their house in East Toledo, authorities said.
No one was injured, Toledo fire Battalion Chief John Kaminski said.
The occupants of the house at 1229 Oak St. had escaped unhurt by the time fire crews arrived about 1:20 a.m. The occupants were alerted to the fire when some of them heard a popping sound coming from a wall and then smelled smoke, Chief Kaminski said.
Crews had the fire under control within 10 minutes. The fire was caused by an electrical short in the wall, Chief Kaminski said. He estimated damage at $2,000.
There were no working smoke detectors in the house, the battalion chief said.
The American Red Cross was at the scene to assist the fire victims.
The official Lucas County auditor’s Web site lists Chicago Title Co. as the owner of the two-story wood frame house. It was built in 1887.
Guidelines: Please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language decent. Comments that violate these standards, or our privacy statement or visitor's agreement, are subject to being removed and commenters are subject to being banned. To post comments, you must be a registered user on toledoblade.com. To find out more, please visit the FAQ.